Libertas Institute (pronounced lih-bear-tuss) derives its name from the Roman goddess of liberty, who has long been incorporated into symbols and statues throughout American history.
Libertas Institute clears a path for each Utahn to pursue a better life by removing obstacles that limit opportunity.
We envision a society where everyone, young and old, has the opportunity to build the lemonade stands of their dreams, rather than being bound and tripped up by red tape.
Libertas Institute is effective; 82% of our proposals that are considered by the Utah House or Senate are successfully enacted into law. By using strategy and persuasive communication to inform the public and educate elected officials, we help generate the political will to reduce and eliminate barriers that government places in the path of opportunity for hard-working Utahns.
Founded in 2011, Libertas Institute is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization not associated with any political party or partisan effort. We collaborate with a diverse group of organizations and allies to create a freer Utah, effecting change through legal research, public advocacy and advertising, lawsuits against the government, events, publications, and more.
- Free Market: Entrepreneurs and employees deserve a level playing field, fair competition, and the elimination of unnecessary regulations.
- Personal Freedom: Each person has the right to peacefully pursue their own definition of happiness, including owning and using their property to benefit self and society.
- Justice and Due Process: Every individual should be treated impartially in a transparent and equitable legal system that focuses on offenses against individuals or property, while promoting individual responsibility and community safety.
- Education Empowerment: Every parent, child, and teacher must have the opportunity to innovate and individualize education.
- Limited and Open Government: The public should be able to easily oversee and review the functions and expenditures of government.