Investigative journalist Radley Balko has published six articles in a series about efforts in Utah to reform the way police handle drug enforcement cases and the “militarization” trend we’ve become familiar with. Balko, author of the new book Rise of the Warrior Cop, also published a paper in 2006 on the same subject, “Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids in America.” Download a free copy here.
Our proposal, and our president’s profile, is included in the third article. The entire series is worth reading. Here are the articles:
- How A Drug Raid Gone Wrong Sparked A Call For Change In The Unlikeliest State In The Nation
- As The Drug War Escalates, SWAT Teams Become ‘Bullies With Badges And Guns’
- Meet The Activist Who’s Bringing Conservatives On Board The Police Reform Movement
- An Occupy Activist’s New Cause: Drug Raids And Police Abuse
- An Unexpected Reformer Fights To Hold Police Accountable
- A Police Chief Tries To Reform The System From Within
Within a few weeks we hope to announce details about our proposal to establish better guidelines regarding how and when officers may forcibly enter a person’s home. “Like” our Facebook page to stay up to date!